For this dish, you will need two separate recipes. The main ingredients consist of the following:
2 cups red peas
½ lb salt beef
1 lb stew beef (or pigtails, whichever you choose)
1 scotch bonnet pepper
2 stalks scallion
3 sprigs of thyme
2 cups coconut milk(or 1/4 box)
6 pimento seeds
3 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
And for the Spinners, you will need:
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon of salt
Enough water to bind
How it’s done:
- Boil and drain salt beef twice, in a medium size pan.
- Place peas, meat, and garlic together in the pan, boil until peas are tender, about 1 ½ hour.
- Add coconut cream, spinners, and seasoning, cook for about an hour.
Season to taste.
- Thicken the mix with 3 tablespoons of flour combined with 1/4 cup water. Strain the mixture into the stew.
- Boil until it thickens. Serve with rice.
Preparing the Spinners:
- Place flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Work mixture with hands while adding enough water to bind, making a stiff dough.
- Roll into 1 inch long pieces, drop into boiling stew peas or soup.
- Boil until they float or add them during the last 20mins of the cooking process. Enjoy