Peanut porridge was once considered to be street food. Times have changed, and it can now be found almost everywhere on the island in restaurants and homes alike. This rich, delicious meal is ideal for breakfast, or any time of the day. It’s packed with protein which is an important building block of bones, muscles, skin, and blood.
What you will need:
1 cup raw peanuts
1 cup oatmeal
1 tbsp. Flour
1 tbsp Cornmeal
½ Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
½ cup evaporated milk
A pinch of nutmeg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ tsp Salt
Water as needed (approximately 2 cups)
How it’s done:
- Place the peanuts in a blender and process until it is almost smooth.
- Remove the peanuts and place in a container.
- Place 1 cup of water in a pot to boil and add ½ tsp of salt.
- Place the oatmeal in a blender and process until it becomes power.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, peanut, oatmeal in a container.
- Slow pour water into the container and mix the ingredients to make a liquid paste.
- Pour the liquid paste into the boiling water.
- Stir until evenly mixed. (Do not let the flour get lumpy)
Cover and cook on medium setting. To prevent the porridge from boiling over, lift the cover and allow steam to escape.
- After 12 minutes turn the setting to low then add the vanilla extract, nutmeg, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk.
- Stir until evenly mixed. Cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the porridge to slightly cool before serving.