Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding is an all-time favorite for both locals and tourists alike. Some people still bake it the traditional way on a coal pot, where some of the charcoal is placed on a piece of metal and placed on top of the baking pan. This is described as ‘hell a top, ‘hell a bottom and hallelujah in the middle but it is also delightful when baked in the oven. Once you try this recipe you will be hooked. Try it for dessert, too. It also goes well with milk, whether soy or cow’s milk.
- 2 pounds of sweet potato
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 cup of raisins (any dried fruit)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of margarine/butter
Sweet Potato Pudding Directions
- Wash Potatoes and take off the skin
- Wash Potatoes again then grate them
- Grate some coconut, add the water and squeeze the juice through a strainer
- Blend the flour, mixed spice (raisins or other dried fruit), salt, and nutmeg.
- Combine the above mixture with the grated potatoes and mix it well
- Add the sugar, fruits and coconut milk. Mix it well.
- Grease a pan, pour in the batter, bake at 350 degrees F for 40-60 minutes depending on oven.
Feat Image Credits: chef_jsb