What you’ll need:
- 1 medium sized can red kidney beans
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (whole, do not chop up)
- 2 cups water
How it’s prepared:
- Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup
- Add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid
- Place liquids in a pot with beans, onions, garlic, thyme, and oil, bring to a boil.
- Add rice and stir for a minute.
- Reduce heat to Medium-Low. Place scotch bonnet pepper on top of the liquid and cover tightly for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Remove scotch bonnet pepper before serving.
This recipe can also be made using other peas, such as pigeon peas. This recipe serves 4-5 adults.