Yep, it’s Jackfruit! The Jackfruit is a one-of-a-kind fruit that actually has much common with other tropical fruits such as durians and bananas. Botanically, this popular Asian fruit, beloved and adopted by Jamaicans is also closely related to figs, mulberry and another local favourite, breadfruit.
But did you know having Jackfruit is actually very good for you? In another edition of Bet You Didn’t Know, ilovejamaicans.com presents ten amazing health benefits the fruit can provide you.
- Jackfruit and its seeds can be consumed directly. High in fibre, the fruit helps prevent constipation and promotes a detoxified system.
- Eaten fresh, the fruit has been found to contain small amounts of vitamin-A, and flavonoid pigments. Together, these compounds play vital roles in antioxidant and vision functions. In daily servings, the Vitamin A found in Jackfruit has been found to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers and promotes the integrity of the body’s mucus membranes and the skin.
- Jackfruit is rich in Vitamin C, which helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and harmful free radicals. The vitamin is also important for holistic gum and dental health.
- The fruit and the seeds are one of the few fruits that are rich in the B-complex group of vitamins. Jackfruit contains massive amounts of vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), niacin (vitamin B-5), riboflavin (vitamin B-2), and folic acid.
- Jackfruit is a great source of potassium, which is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- The seeds of the Jackfruit are rich in important minerals such as magnesium, manganese, and iron.
- If you are looking for top-up energy boost, very few fruits come close to Jackfruit! After mangoes, Jackfruit contains high amounts of carbohydrate and low levels of fat. It contains a healthy amount of simple sugar like fructose and sucrose that can be readily digested and easily absorbed by our bodies.
- Besides its signature sweet taste, Jackfruit has a surprisingly high level of water content in it. In some parts of Asia, a small serving of Jackfruit every day is believed to keep skin moisturized and well hydrated, making it look younger and glowing.
- Jackfruit contains high amount of calcium, which strengthens and promotes healthy bone health. In Thailand, bone-related illnesses like Arthritis and Osteoporosis have been successfully managed with regular seasonal consumption of Jackfruit.
- Boiling the root of Jackfruit and consuming it, is known to alleviate the symptoms of asthma. Currently, Jackfruit and its extracts are being explored to treat asthma and controlling its symptoms.
Did you know all these facts, what are you waiting for? Dig in to a few pods of Jackfruit today!!
Hungry for more amazing health benefits found in the foods you eat? Then look no further, see related stories below: